Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

My Only Comment

Passing a sign about Amendment 2,
Mary said, "That's such a lie. Children aren't going to be hurt by a gay marriage."

"I agree."

"That's ridiculous to hang that sign."

"They're trying to influence people Mary. I'm glad they can't influence you."

"No way. I'm gay and I'm staying gay."


Sometimes when this child opens her mouth, I'm left speechless.

I didn't know how to respond. I really wanted to laugh at the absurdity of it all. I was also aware, however, that this might be a monumental turning point in our family history, and I wanted to remain respectful to my daughter. I didn't laugh.

Yet.

I replied, "Do you know what gay means?"

"Sure. It's when you like boys."

"Well, really it's when a boy likes another boy."

"No mom. Boys like boys. That's called gay. Girls like boys, that's called gay too. Anyone who likes a girl is a lesbian."

Still maintaining my composure, I let her continue.

"If a girl likes another girl, that's a lesbian. When a boy likes a girl, he's a lesbian too."

"Well, really sweetie,"
I replied, "when a boy likes a boy or a girl likes a girl, that's called homosexual. When a boy likes a girl or when a girl likes a boy, that's called heterosexual. The words you're using are slang. So, the slang word for a girl liking a boy is called straight."

"I know that Mom. That's why I'm a straight gay."



Please vote today.
For the future of my spunky, straight-gay daughter, vote today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that might be the funniest conversation I have ever heard! I love that kid...spunk and all...
Marla

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails