Wednesday, August 08, 2007

What If?

What if
we don't sell enough pancakes to cover the cost of the supplies?

Just a thought, as I sit here at 2 a.m., sipping mint tea and popping Tums to help relieve the stomache ache brought on by the thought of trying to explain that situation to Dale.
Just a thought.

What if
VHL were as well known as other rare diseases?

Just a thought, as I sit here at 2 a.m., reading through a local paper and noticing that a group of women, just a social group, managed to recieve a huge donation from a bank for their fundraising project. Maybe people are more willing to donate big is they have had personal experience with the disease. Maybe it is easier to receive these sweet givings when the donater has actually heard about the disease that you're fighting for.
Wouldn't it be sweet to receive a donation so huge that it would cover supplies for five pancake breakfasts?

Just a thought.


What if
people actually realized that this fundraiser is not only for Steven and VHL, but also for most kidney cancer fighters?

Just a thought, really, as I sit here at 2 a.m., realizing that most people dont know of the relationship between VHL and the cases of kidney cancer that are found in the general population.

Renal cell carcinoma is known as a "silent killer" in the world of cancer. It has so few and such vague symptoms, that by the time it is discovered, the cancer has often metastasized to various parts of the body. That coupled with the fact that there is not a reliable drug protocol to fight this form a cancer makes kidney cancer the seventh leading cause of cancer death.

The good and interesting news is that most cases of kidney cancer in the general population are caused by isolated. sporadic mutations of the VHL gene, the sort of mutations that tend to happen as we age or are exposed to environmental cancer risks. So...whatever cures VHL will also cure these random cases of kidney cancer. That is reason enough for VHL to come out of hiding and receive the sort of public recognition and financial assistance that other causes benefit from.
Just a thought.


Cure Steven.
Cure VHL.
Cure kidney cancer.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Beverly! I've been reading but I haven't commented in quite a while. As always, I am thinking about Steven and your family. I've been praying hard about this fundraiser, and I'm hoping that you will be blown away by the turnout. I wish I could be there, but know that I will be thinking about y'all and praying for the best. I'm still planning on sending a donation as soon as we get over this financial rut we are going through. I want to do everything I can to help find a cure for VHL, but right now, all I have are my usual prayers. Let us hope they are heard!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails