Saturday, November 18, 2006

Thankful once

Thankful twice...thankful forever.

(Another dated post from 11/2005 Caringbridge entry.)

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, and confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow." Melody Beattie

I am thankful...
...for warm blankets, bubble baths, warm sweet tea, and all else that gives comfort at the 11th hour.

I am thankful...
...for the smell of baby skin, the sound of children's laughter, and other instances of sweet innocence.

I am thankful...
...for wishes granted and dreams dreamed.

I am thankful...
...for weeks when the washing machine and the car are both working properly. And, if it also happens to be one of those weeks when the dishwasher is washing and the toilet is flushing, I am extremely thankful!

I am thankful...
...for music, dance and other expressions of joy.

I am thankful...
...for a roof over our head, food on the table, running water, electricity and all the other necessities of life that, unfortunately are considered luxuries in some parts of the world.

I am thankful...
...that our house has never been damaged by a hurricane.

I am thankful...
...for family and friends.

I am thankful...
...that I teach Kindergarten. I am able to spend an entire day at work, every day, and never talk about bottom lines, sales reports or net profits! I get to talk about the really important things in life...sharing, believing, caring, forgiving and learning to love stories. Pure pleasure, pure delight!

I am thankful...
...for the insightful talk that Steven and I had with Dr. Jacobson earlier this month. It is normal that our family still has moments of tears and anxiety. It is good that those moments dont happen as often as they did. I was thankful that Dr. Jacobson confirmed that I should be honest with Steven about all medical aspects of this disease. It was nice to know that as long as Steven feels comfortable expressing his anxieties with me, he doesn't need professional help!

I am thankful...
...for cysts...well, I think I am! A cyst could ease the way for the inevitable brainstem surgery without detrimental results to our sweet Steven.

I am thankful...
...for health insurance. Health insurance has carried many of our burdens this past year. I dont know what we would have done without it. And yet, in this day and age of enlightenment, there are millions of people in this country who work full time and have no health insurance. I am so grateful.

I am thankful...
...for the lessons I have learned since Steven's diagnosis. To try new things, enjoy the moment, consider a stranger a friend, laugh more deeply, live more broadly, and never let a loved one leave the house without saying "I love you" ... These are the gifts of this disease.

I am thankful...
... that Dale is so able to deal in the here and now and see a situation as black and white. When I fret and worry about what Steven's health situation will be in ten years, Dale will ask "Is he fine today?"

I am thankful...
...that Dal's job has enabled me to be home while the children are home. There have been lean times, but raising your own children is priceless! And the memories I have...what a gift!

I am thankful...
...that Heaven has trusted me with these three truly amazing children. Goodness knows, I've made mistakes...scolded when I should have hugged, hushed when I should have listened, and held on when I should have let go. And yet I wake every morning and realize that God has trusted me again with his treasures and blessed me for another day.

I am thankful...
...that this Wednesday we are leaving on a Disney cruise! This will be the first time in FOREVER, or at least a very long time, that my entire family...parents, children, and grandchildren...will give thanks at one table. For that, we are feeling thankful and blessed, and we are planning on having a BLAST!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails